Define the role of the position within the team, describing its leadership role, if any, it’s external/internal work relationships or contacts, the contextual environment in which it operates and the scope of supervision received, and where applicable, exercised by the incumbent.
Eight years into the Syria crisis, Lebanon remains the country hosting the largest number of refugees per capita, with nearly 950,000 Syrian refugees registered with UNHCR, about 20,000 refugees of other origins - mostly Iraqi - and Palestine refugees under UNRWA’s mandate. There are no formal camps for Syrian refugees in Lebanon, and refugees are living in hundreds of communities and locations across the country.
The refugee response is led by the Government and UNHCR and UNDP, supported by the international community. As the designated lead agency in the refugee response, UNHCR has established a sector-based structure in Beirut and in the field. The structure brings together over 150 UN agencies, national and international NGO partners [over 150 actors, including UN agencies, national and international NGOs and Ministries] in identifying and agreeing on the strategic priorities to address the needs of Syrian refugees and vulnerable Lebanese communities. The Lebanon Chapter of the Response Plan falls under the Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP), whereby UNHCR guides the refugee response and UNDP facilitates the resilience and stabilization component.
The UNHCR operational response in Lebanon is one of the largest for the organization. Media attention and the frequency of influential high-profile visitors is high. The Office has grown substantially in the past years and is currently operating with around 650 staff. Aside from the country office in the capital city of Beirut, UNHCR has field offices in Mount Lebanon, Qobayat, Tripoli, Tyre and Zahle.
UNHCR established digital connections to bring a broad base of supporters and leadership partners closer to refugees / PoCs and UNHCR’s work / mandate beside establishing and strengthening relations with different public and private sector partners in the MENA Region to cover funding gaps through digital and traditional multi-channel outreach.
In support of the LG and IG programmes in the Gulf, PSP needs to hire a Graphic Designer to lead on the collaboration and procedures visual communication content for UNHCR's Arabic Digital Hub in print and digital formats. This position will also support the LG fundraising reporting and proposal design and synergize this with overall brand identity to communicate with current and potential supporters.
Describe the accountabilities, responsibilities and authorities associated with the position.
Accountability (key results that will be achieved)
- Deliver visual communication materials for the LG and IG (Digital) fundraising team as requested by supervisor on time with input from different stakeholders.
- Deliver design for LG donor’s reports and proposals.
Responsibility (process and functions undertaken to achieve results)
- Under the overall supervision of the PSP Officer (Digital), the Graphic Designer Associate will be responsible to:
- Collaborate with staff on design concepts and visual communications strategies to create designs, concepts and simple layouts.
- Produce visual communication content for websites, blogs, social media and print material with a focus on encouraging new current audiences to take action for refugee's cause.
- Determine size and arrangement of illustrative material and copy, and select style and size of type based on campaign/project needs and in line with UNHCR's digital identity.
- Prepare illustrations or rough sketches of materials, including storyboards to assist in staff visualizing end of product during planning and development of projects and campaigns.
- Conceptualize and design layouts for online and digital media which includes e-mailers, e-cards, and website banners.
- Use adobe illustrator, Adobe Photoshop and other design software to generate new images, composition of images and creative typography.
- Use Adobe Flash, IMovie and or other animation/video software to generate short digital animation clips for projects and campaigns.
- Edit and assemble final layouts to prepare layouts for printing and draft instructions for printing service providers to ensure process meets projects timelines.
- Produce info-graphics and data visualization images to communicate complex information into easily understood formats.
- Collaborate with fundraising team to design and produce print and electronic content for educating and encouraging supporters to take action.
- Collaborate with digital team to design, produce and visual content for our website, blogs, social media and email content for use on desktop and mobile platforms.
- Work closely with Copywriter to ensure synergy between written and visual content on the website, blogs, social media and print content.
- Work closely with the web developer to finalize visual materials for digital content.
- Test different creative for different output program in collaboration with the different stakeholders.
- Build a growing bank of applied knowledge in effective visual communication and design that is relevant to UNHCR's supporters, potential supporters and external stakeholders.
- Monitor, identify, report and advice UNHCR on current and leading thinking around visual communication and design to inform project work.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Authority (decisions made in executing responsibilities and to achieve results)
- Provide visually stimulating email templates for digital team.
- Deliver visual communication materials for the digital/PR/Advertising agencies frequently and on time.
which illustrate behaviours that are essential to achieving deliverables described above, and that are critical to successful performance. All jobs require the staff to abide to the Values and Core competencies of UNHCR. Where applicable, select a maximum of six Managerial and three Cross-Functional Competencies. (Note that the Performance Appraisal and Management System (PAMS) allows for up to five Cross-Functional Competencies to be selected by the staff member and the supervisor.
X001 ||Analytical Thinking
X002 || Innovation and Creativity
X003 ||Technological Awareness
X004 ||Negotiation and Conflict Resolution
X005 ||Planning and Organizing
X006 ||Policy Development and Research
X007 ||Political Awareness
X008 ||Stakeholder Management
X009 ||Change Capability and Adaptability
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED.
Define the educational background, the relevant job experience and the language(s) that are essential to perform the work of the position.
- Completion of Secondary school with a certificate/training preferably with studies in Graphic Art or Graphic Design.
- At least 6 years professional experience as a Graphic Designer
- Some experience in an international organization or major corporate or publishing body.
- Experience of two to three years of concept visualization
- Experience in the maintenance of computer graphics systems.
- Experience in book or publication design.
- Experience in design in the MENA region for Arabic audience.
- Strong comprehension of theory related to human interaction with websites, information architecture, usability, accessibility, UX and interactive design is a plus.
- Strong comprehension of standards and best practices of social media platforms.
- Proven ability to deliver under tight deadlines.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
Describe any experience or knowledge that would be an asset, such as: UNHCR Learning Programmes, other training, additional languages, Field/HQs experience, etc.
- Be a real team player and be driven by numbers and success.
- Have excellent knowledge and a passion for online marketing
- Strong knowledge of best practices for digital creative, segmentation, dynamic content, testing methodologies, deliverability.
- Knowledge and experience of using design and publishing software.
- A creative person who is thorough, with a keen eye for detail and an ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Understanding of different paper quality/type and its impact on the design work.
- Excellent IT skills, especially with design and photo-editing software
- Exceptional creativity and innovation.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Accuracy and attention to detail.
- An understanding of latest industry trends.
- High proficiency in both English and Arabic languages.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees). UNHCR strongly encourage qualified female applicants for this position, applications form individuals with special needs are encouraged. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for the written test and/or oral interview.