Define the role of the position within the team, describing its leadership role, if any, it’s external/internal work relationships or contacts, the contextual environment in which it operates and the scope of supervision received, and where applicable, exercised by the incumbent.
Eight years into the Syria crisis, Lebanon remains the country hosting the largest number of refugees per capita, with nearly 950,000 Syrian refugees registered with UNHCR, about 20,000 refugees of other origins - mostly Iraqi - and Palestine refugees under UNRWA’s mandate. There are no formal camps for Syrian refugees in Lebanon, and refugees are living in hundreds of communities and locations across the country.
The refugee response is led by the Government and UNHCR and UNDP, supported by the international community. As the designated lead agency in the refugee response, UNHCR has established a sector-based structure in Beirut and in the field. The structure brings together over 150 UN agencies, national and international NGO partners [over 150 actors, including UN agencies, national and international NGOs and Ministries] in identifying and agreeing on the strategic priorities to address the needs of Syrian refugees and vulnerable Lebanese communities. The Lebanon Chapter of the Response Plan falls under the Regional Refugee and Resilience Plan (3RP), whereby UNHCR guides the refugee response and UNDP facilitates the resilience and stabilization component.
The UNHCR operational response in Lebanon is one of the largest for the organization. Media attention and the frequency of influential high-profile visitors is high. The Office has grown substantially in the past years and is currently operating with around 650 staff. Aside from the country office in the capital city of Beirut, UNHCR has field offices in Mount Lebanon, Qobayat, Tripoli, Tyre and Zahle.
The intern will proactively work to support coordination and assist the inter-agnecy structure in the organization of meetings.
Describe the accountabilities, responsibilities and authorities associated with the position.
- Support coordination with all partners, including national and international NGOs, UN agencies and other organizations.
- Facilitate and support periodic Inter Agency and sector meetings.
- Ensure cooperation and information sharing between the supervisor and relevant sectors, including by drafting relevant documents.
- Prepare correspondence, documents and reports based on data analysis, including tables and graphs.
- Perform other duties as requested.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED.
Define the educational background, the relevant job experience and the language(s) that are essential to perform the work of the position.
- University degree - preferably in Political Science or International Relations (is a plus);
- Excellent knowledge of English with advanced written and verbal skills;
- Knowledge of Arabic and/or French is an asset;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Determination to meet deadlines;
- Computer literacy;
- Flexible and positive attitude.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing, training or any other fees). UNHCR strongly encourage qualified female applicants for this position, applications form individuals with special needs are encouraged. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for the written test and/or oral interview.